waiting for baby to pop!
During the third trimester I had this really bad burp that brings out a really bad bile into your mouth. My stomach felt as if I was having gastric. So, I like many 1st time moms did not know this was acid reflux. I thought it was hunger so I kept on eating! (this one one of the reasons of my weight gain I believe).
At full term I was a hefty 90kg! You could say it was the baby..yes my baby was pretty big (4.05kg) but even that plus with all the amniotic fluids, placenta could not be more than 12kg right? After baby was out, I was so excited to be a mom but when I looked at my body I felt sad. The nice round bump had gone..not to be replaced by flat stomach but a lump of blubber..
My blubber belly, My In-laws, My hubby and Little Muchkin
When I was asleep, in my dreams... I was still that slim girl with wild curls. When I woke up it was far from it. Yet I was determined to get back to my old self. I would like to share with you how I got it all back. Well with 1 or 2 kgs fluctuating of course ;)
1. Breastfeed (I am a huge advocate for this! You can burn up to 500 calories a day just by exclusive breast feeding. Your womb will also shrink back to its original size faster.
2. Shut Your Ears - (Sorry to say but shut your ears to the old aunties & nay sayers. Be ready for 'supportive' words like "She is starving herself", "No need to diet la", "You won't get back to your original figure", "Just eat only!","I made you some cake" etc.
3. Count Calories -Keep a food diary. I used calorie counter app called MyFitness Pal. Tip: You can add 300-500 calories for Breastfeeding or you can add it under 'My Exercises' (Ahh..the rewards of breastfeeding). They also have a phone app version.
4. Balanced Diet - I ate as clean as I possibly could. From the 4th month onwards I totally did not consume rice and processed bread. I ate a lot of fruits, vegetables, chicken and fish and baked my own wholewheat muffins. If you are Breastfeeding I recommend only to start cutting your portions gradually as a sudden drop will cause your body to produce less milk.
My very own Healthy Muffins packed with Anti-Oxidants
5. Jumping Jacks - When you are up to it (like for me it was after 3 months). I started my day with 50 jumping jacks. It helps to wake up your body and keep your metabolism up and its great for those who cant afford to go out for a jog.
And THATS ALL there is to it.
Other things I did along my weight loss journey:
1. Final goal. Project the desired image of you in your head so your body and mind will work towards it.
2. Take my time (It took 9 months for my body to get this way anyway)
3. Invest in Flattering clothes for my new body (if you look good you wont feel so bad about yourself). Remember your body will keep changing. I got my self a new pair of jeans (the biggest I have ever owned, a size 34!), 2 dresses in my new size 'XL' that flattered the new curves, a few nice tops to begin with.) My favorite go-to shop for Breastfeeding dresses is The Fabulous Mom. I still wear them today and get compliments.
One of my favorite dresses from The Fabulous Mom. This is 6 months post-pregnancy.
4. Wear a Bengkung or girdle. It was quite uncomfortable at first but you will get used to it. Bengkung is better than normal Girdle because it pushes your hips back to its original size. Some people even say that their hips got smaller that pre-pregnancy. This is because our pelvic bone is soft and expands when the baby comes out. So we need to push it back into shape while its still soft which is like within 2 - 3 months when the oxytocin level in our system is still high. Best results if you wear it religiously day and night tho you will be walking with itsy bitsy steps and picking your crying baby up could be quite a challenge. I don't miss the Bengkung! Haha but it gave wonderful results.
Mine looked like this. This is from TANAMERA. I had to buy2 and join it cos Im tall LOL
5. Appreciate Myself - Have a positive image about yourself. I appreciated my new E Cup!
To new mama's good luck and Ganbate!
To not so new mama's you can still do it!
To anyone looking to lose weight, the choice is yours!
A recent picture with birthday boy Ravin at his party.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and diet is hard work. Build a support system around you that keeps you going. I'm quite lucky that my parents were instrumental for me.
Happy Chinese New Year!
P.S. Although I know my lovely hubby preferred the meatier, huggable me he did not stop me from reaching my goal. I would like to ad a special hug and big kiss to my man =x Thanks for telling me I am beautiful all the way thru and for telling me the little pouch of fat left on my belly now is cute and reminds you that I once was the vessel that carried our little snuggle puff.